Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Badshah Khan Interview Mid-Day

Badshah Khan carried out the sinister 1993 Mumbai blasts plan, but turned and named his
co-conspirators. Accused-turned-police approver Khan reveals it all in his first exhaustive
interview in years. How and why the blasts happened, his curiosity to see his character in
Black Friday and what it's like living in the shadow of death
By: By Anand Holla
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his sprawling 1,100 sq ft terrace flat apartment at one of Andheri's prime locations,
Badshah Khan (name changed) seems to have reconstructed his life and lifestyle beyond
recognition. In the epic 1993 serial blasts case, it was this man who single-handedly
implicated 33 of the 123 accused with his tell-all confession. Khan became the approver,
cracking the case open for prosecution, as he spilled the beans on all stages of the
conspiracy — as he was the only arrested accused to have participated in them.Clad in a white kurta-pyjama and relaxing on his terrace lawn, Khan says he is at ease now.
"I feel gratified to have gotten an opportunity to correct my wrongs. I am extremely
satisfied that I have spoken my heart out to the court, by becoming an approver and
speaking the bare truth," Khan explains, resting nonchalantly on his cushioned chair. With
its long-awaited release finally happening on Friday, Khan adds that he wishes to see
Anurag Kashyap's Black Friday, since it is primarily based on him — almost as a
protagonist. "Suna hoon bahut achcha hai, lekin main jald hi dekhoonga bhi…" he smiles. In
an exclusive interview with SMD, Khan breaks his silence on many questions that were left
unanswered about the 1993 serial blasts.
In those four months that changed everything forever for Mumbai, (January to April 1993),
what was ticking in your mind?The atmosphere following the 1992-1993 riots was horrifying. In that dark phase of Bombay
riots, women were raped and paraded naked, Muslims walking on streets were hacked to death,
Friday namaaz on streets was stopped, Aazaans on speakers were discontinued — it was as if
Muslims were becoming increasingly endangered. My friend Javed Chikna was working for
Tiger's smuggling business. I would work at my uncle's custom notified shop at Juhu's
Vaishali shopping centre. At Mahim, where I would stay, the environment was virulent and it
affected us.
So the blasts were a reaction of riots and Babri Masjid demolition?Certainly, the blasts were the reaction to the riots. 101 percent it was. What happened in
Gujarat in 2002, had occurred in Mumbai 13 years back. I believe the July 11 serial blasts
were the reaction to Gujarat riots, just like the reaction to Bombay riots was these
blasts, as far as I have learnt. This is continuing to happen, because Muslims are feeling
unsafe even today. Political parties are also using Muslims like a tissue paper for their
vote bank – to wipe their hands and chuck them.
Why are Muslims feeling unsafe?Unsafe about having no voice.
Why did you target innocents for revenge? Don't you feel guilty about that? Obviously I feel bad. Because, back then, as we had discussed with Tiger, we jumped into
the plan because leaders were to be killed. Let those leaders be from Shiv Sena or BJP, and
we were completely ready for all that. But when we saw that these blasts caused deaths of
innocent men, women and children, we felt horrible. We wondered what was the fault of these
innocent civilians?
Didn't you realise that civilians would obviously die?No, no, we had no clue that it would cause such devastation. Yes, we knew that blasts were
to happen, but during all our stages of landing of RDX, arms training in Pakistan, and even
at conspiracy meetings, we weren't ever told about such targets. We were fooled. When were
told about the final plan in the last days, it was too late for us to abort the plan,
because we would have been shot dead by those who had organised this. We feared Tiger and
Chikna, and none had the capacity to fight them out.
Do you fear for life today? Do you think you have enough security?I'm not at all satisfied with the protection given to me. Two men with 9mm revolvers are
deputed for my protection – one for the day, the other stays on at night. Suppose he leaves
for having his meals, or to attend nature's call, then I've none for my security. So in
this fight against Pakistan's ISI that I'm waging, I know that I stand nowhere in their
comparison. They might storm me with AK56 weapons or grenades. Initially, I had
carbine-totting cops for protection, but since four-five years my protection has been
reduced with the excuse of Ganesh Chaturthi and other festival bandobast.
Is your family protected too?My family doesn't have any protection, and even my protection is only limited within
Mumbai. I travel in a big 'SUMO-like' car, because I also have to accommodate the gunman!
But without adequate protection, my inner strength would also die one day.
What was the one factor that made you commit this crime? The sole factor that drove us into this conspiracy was to avenge the wrongs against
Muslims. Tiger had brainwashed us and he would constantly refer to Muslim women being raped
and murdered and Babri Masjid being demolished.
Do you still carry those traces of fanaticism?(Smiles) I am of a secular mindset. Neither have you seen Bhagwan nor have we seen Allah,
and for all of us, only humanity should matter.
But is there a difference between you being religious today and then?The difference between my fervent fanaticism of early 1993 and today's simple following of
religious principles is vast. Today I'm well aware about the futility of such
fundamentalism. I was imprisoned from May 1993 to December 1995, and I've cried,
introspected and comprehended several issues. Jail life was killing.
You must've been kept isolated then, with you turning approver. Yes, I was kept in anda barracks. I have stayed in many prisons like Yeravada, Thane
Central jail, and of course the Arthur Road jail. I would break down, asking cops, "Why am
I kept so isolated?" and I would be told that it is for security reasons. I couldn't get a
glimpse of the sky, and I would crave for just one glance through those thick bars and
fences.
What weakness in you did Tiger pounce on? See, I wouldn't be able to explain what part Tiger actually caught onto. To me, it was just
instinctual force coupled with enthusiasm and true love for Islam.
So Tiger commanded such strong emotions?Tiger had immense command while explaining his thoughts. Tiger was known as a respectable
person everywhere. He was driven by his beliefs and instincts. For all I know, he might
have planned this attack only for money. He was highly ambitious and wanted to stay in
command. He was friendly with many leaders and would help them during elections also.
Leaders of political parties who would share his smuggling profits then, continue to have
good relations with him till today!
Have Tiger or Chikna tried to contact you ever?(Long pause…hesitant smile) No, never.
Do you think all this was justified?We believed that we were taking our revenge in some way or the other. We were briefed only
about two aspects of this conspiracy — to kill BJP and Shiv Sena leaders, and to use the
arms for self-defence. Money was never the bait for any of us; it was always revenge.
How much was ISI involved and how tough were those training sessions in undisclosed
Pakistan jungles?ISI was wholeheartedly involved in this conspiracy — from sending us on arms training to
arranging flights to Islamabad. But arms training in Pakistan wasn't as rigorous as the
exercise it is made out to be. It was more of a game played by the ISI to suck out the fear
in us. Sirf aapka dar nikaal kar, aapko use karneka ek khel tha unka. Chaahe aap maro ya
woh maaro, unko koi pharak nahi padta. Lekin tabhi humko samajh nahi thi, aaj hai. Acche
boore ki samajh hai aaj.
Have you told your family about your past?I married after I stepped out of jail, and I confided everything to my wife. I did so,
because I didn't want to get myself into another guilt-ridden situation after just bidding
goodbye to one! My three children (boys aged 5, 7 and daughter aged 11) are studying in
school. But, I haven't told them about it. Even when we are watching TV and suddenly
there's news about the case and its convictions, I quietly switch the channel to ensure
that my kids don't know about it.
But most Muslims condemned the 1993 blasts.In my opinion, most Muslims are happy with the 1993 serial blasts and they won't condemn
that disaster. This is because most Muslims think of it as 'revenge', and they accept it
that way. Back then, Muslims all over India had prayed hard for us — and even Muslims from
Dubai to Saudi Arabia had, because they didn't find it wrong. It is a different equation
for us, and for the pains that we have gone through, all of us accused would call the
blasts as wrong.
So you are fine with the deaths, but you are calling the blasts wrong because all of you
were caught?Look, it's not so simple. After the blasts, Muslims felt a sense of security — that they
won't be harassed or tortured further in society. Hence those Muslims are happy. But the
condition of those Muslims who were involved, has gone from worse to worst. They and their
families became social outcastes, with none stepping up to support them. So they would
obviously curse these blasts. We were badly cheated and used. Had we actually bumped off
some leaders, then we would have been happy today.
But again, you are sorry because most of you accused were trapped and cheated. Well, only those involved know how bad it ended. The focus for other Muslims became their
own safety, and hence they wouldn't condemn the act, even though it caused innocent lives.
For them, it could even be like a necessary sacrifice of so many lives for their safety.
But every Muslim would condemn and feel sorry for the recent 7/11 blasts, because if you
want to avenge Gujarat riots, then you very well act your heart out in Gujarat. Why target
Mumbai?
You say Muslims are still unsafe. So how can terrorism help?Today, terrorism has assumed the guise of a profession, and its advocators have
kick-started this grand 'terrorism' business. But back then; we could see several problems
right before our eyes. Apne upar badle ki bhoot savaar thi. If you consider the social
context then, it might make sense to some, also because Muslims were worried as to what
will become of them. But otherwise, revenge is endless, and it doesn't benefit anyone.
Insaan bhagwaan na bane, toh hi achcha hai.
Don't you think you are lucky to be pardoned without any trial or punishment, while your
fellow-accused are languishing in jail?I don't know if it was somebody's prayers for me, or if it was god's grace that recognised
my inner conscience, or was it simply the strength of my truth — but something did work for
me. Although I don't know what part of me god took a liking for! Maybe god wants me do
something better for the society and hence he has released me.
But most convicts today hate you for squealing on them.This is wrong. I was the second-last accused to be arrested, before which others had
confessed and had even named me. It's a different issue that I realised my follies and
decided to turn approver. Many others wanted to become approvers — Asgar Mukadam, Parvez
Shaikh, Dawood Phanse, Baba Chauhan and many more.
But the cops only sought you?It is nothing like that. This was part of god's game and he made me play a part. It is only
truth and its strength that helped me survive. By speaking the truth, I'm satisfied that
when I'm dead, I wouldn't be called a traitor. Ok. If you had to go back to January 1993…Chikna asks you to meet Tigerbhai. They have this
plan. What would you do?I am sure I would simply go and inform the police about this heinous plan at that very
moment.
What's the worst outcome of this for you?The worst regret for me would be that I've earned this 'traitor' or 'bomb blast accused'
tag till I breathe my last. I don't know if people know about it or not, because I keep
myself low profile. Nobody would tell me on my face, but they might be talking behind my
back. They may refer to my son later, saying, "Look, that's that blastwalla's son there."
Have you become over-religious now?Not at all. Bas, mere dil main Allah ka dar hai, khauf-e-khuda hai. I offer prayers and
namaaz regularly and I frequent Ajmer-Sharif many times a year.
Do you get flashes of those dark days?I don't think about those dark days anymore, as they have gone for good. Just thinking
about that black patch makes me cringe with guilt. So I think about my children and our
family's future.
In Black Friday you are shown on the run to your native village Rampur, Delhi and Tonk in
Rajasthan. What was it like?I was on the run, wild and directionless, filled with confusion and a feeling of
near-hopelessness. Hum bahut besahara mehsoos kar rahe the, us waqt. I would call Tiger and
he would assure that things would fall in place, and he would safely get me on the other
side of the border. But of course, I always feared arrest and hence went into hiding. I
knew I was wanted by the Mumbai police, who were searching for me like wild hounds
everywhere.
Were your passports really burned?I only knew about my passport when it was handed to me in Dubai to head to Islamabad
airport where a certain Jaffer bhai would be greeting us. I remember that Tiger had handed
over my passport with others' to Anwar Theba (absconding accused). When we went to Tonk in
Rajasthan, Anwar simply told me that my passport was destroyed on instructions. Although I
don't exactly know if they were burnt, I felt broken then. (In Black Friday, the passports
are burnt on Tiger Memon's instance.)
Who were your buddies from the blasts episode?I had many close friends like Sardar Shahwali, Nasir Dakhla, and Shahnawaz Qureshi — other
than Chikna and Bashir Electrician, who were from Mahim like me.
How is your relationship with Rakesh Maria today?I share a good relationship with Maria even today and as an investigating officer of the
case, I've been more concerned with him than others. I also share with him my problems
related with security and other issues.
Do you remember those moments, just before you planted that vehicle at Sena Bhavan? In the
film, you are shown as tense and confused. I don't remember the sequence of events and the feelings that I went through, minutes
before the blast at Sena Bhavan where Farooq Pawle and I had planted an RDX laden vehicle.
I don't want to remember!
Is there anything you want to tell Mumbai about the blasts episode? We should be wary of these fundamental elements that create discontent between communities
in the name of Islam and Hindutva. Every individual should keep his religion to himself and
instead put his humanity to good use in the society.

No comments: